Ultra Flora GI Smoothe (formerly Probex)
This product is available exclusively from Inner Strength's Practitioner range, by either:
30 or 60 Capsules
An Anti-inflammatory Probiotic to Assist in the Management of Medically Diagnosed Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Lactobacillus plantarum 299v has been shown to or may:
- Assist in the management of medically diagnosed IBS.
- Relieve bloating, intestinal pain and inflammation.
- Contains clinically proven, exclusive probiotic strain.
- A randomised, double blind placebo controlled trial tested the efficacy of L. plantarum 299v in 40 people with IBS over four weeks. All patients treated with L. plantarum 299v reported significant improvement in stool frequency and complete resolution of their abdominal pain. An overall improvement in all IBS symptoms were noted in 95% of patients in the treatment group, compared to only 15% in the placebo group.
- A 2011 clinical trial of 204 adults with medically diagnosed IBS, showed a significant difference in symptoms with L. plantarum 299v treatment. After four weeks the following results were reported: - 66.4% reduction in frequency of abdominal bloating. - 51.9% reduction in frequency of abdominal pain. - 42.6% reduction in frequency of bowel movements. - 82.8% of IBS cases had an excellent to good response compared to 11.1% in the placebo group.
- Defective mucosal intolerance and inflammation: Disruption of the intestinal barrier can lead to inappropriate inflammatory responses which may occur in Irritable Bowel Syndrome. In vitro studies have shown L. plantarum 299v to have the following mechanisms: - An effect on barrier function by decreasing permeability. - Competitive adherence to the mucus and epithelium.
- L. plantarum 299v may help to maintain a normal, healthy cardiovascular system: In a controlled, double blind clinical trial, 36 people were administered L. plantarum 299v over 6 weeks. The results reported significant changes in leptin and fibrinogen. Additionally, L. plantarum 299v illustrated the following proposed mechanisms on the cardiovascular system: - Production of large quantities of propionic acid to exert anti-inflammatory action, modulating NF - kappa B and reducing the production of inflammatory cytokines.